HOTEL NEAR BELFAST ZOO
Belfast Zoo is one of the top visitor attractions and one of the oldest in Northern Ireland, with a quarter of a million visitors each year. Located in North Belfast on the slopes of Cave Hill, the zoo has more than 1,000 animals and 150 species, many of which are in danger in their natural habitat. The zoo undergoes significant conservation work and international breeding programmes which ensure the survival of many species that are under threat.
The zoo covers 55-acre ground with an upward slope so make sure to wear comfortable shoes. It is easy to spend the whole day to cover the whole area so you can bring your own food for some picnic or eat at their restaurant or tea room on-site.
Some of the animals you can see include barbary lions, red kangaroos, spider monkeys, Moloch gibbons, Rothchild’s giraffes, Asian elephants and Malayan sun bears. Also, don’t miss out these other highlights:
- Bird Park – containing many exotic and endangered birds
- Giraffe and Elephant Enclosure – home to large herds of Rothchild’s giraffes with the recent addition of a new calf, born just this month of April. There are other animals sharing this enclosure such as meerkats, Visayan warty pigs, cape porcupines, capybaras and giant anteaters.
- Rainforest House – a walk-through display with tropical landscaping. They feature various animals inside the house which include bats, doves and several species of pigeons.
- Lake Side – home to animals like great white pelicans, Colombian spider monkeys, and Chilean flamingos. They also have picnic tables, a farm and a new play facility for the kids.
Summer (21 March to 30 September)
- 10.00am to 7.00pm – Monday to Sunday
- Last admission is 5.00pm
- Animal houses close at 6.00pm
- The Zoovenir Shop closes at 6.00pm
Winter (1 October to 21 March)
- 10.00am to 4.00pm daily
- Last admission is 2.30pm
- Animal houses close at 3.30pm
- The Zoovenir shop closes at 4.00pm
*Times and prices may change so please check their website directly for updated information.LESS INFORMATION